SketchUp Building Maker
SketchUp Building Maker is an easy-to-use tool for creating three-dimensional buildings. Building Maker allows you to create buildings by combining 3D digital building blocks on top of two-dimensional (2D) aerial images (photos) just as real toy blocks might be combined to simulate a real building.
Building Maker can be manipulated (sized and oriented) and combined with other blocks to match 2 dimensional aerial photos of a structure. Blocks are matched to a building by dragging and placing the block's points to fit a structure in the image.
Building Maker buildings are reviewed for inclusion in Google Earth's 3D Buildings layer (viewable by the entire world). In order to be accepted, the building must meet the Google Earth 3D Buildings Acceptance Criteria.
Models created in Building Maker can be easily modified in Google SketchUp. To refine textures and add geometric detail, follow the steps below:
- ♦ If you haven't installed SketchUp yet, download the application here.
- ♦ Launch SketchUp.
- ♦ Locate and import the Building Maker model you want to refine.
- ♦ The imported model will be contained within a Component instance. Double-click the component to open it for editing.
- ♦ Use SketchUp modeling and texturing tools to refine the building as you see fit. If you're new to SketchUp there are plenty of resources in this Help Center to learn the basics. For example, read the Getting Started Guide, or learn how to reposition your textures.
- ♦ Once you're done refining your model, click once outside the component to close the component editing window.
- ♦ Before you upload your building, you'll want to make sure that it sits correctly on the Google Earth terrain.
- ♦ You can upload your building as a revision to your original Building Maker model.
- ♦ Right-click the component and select Upload Component from the context menu.
- ♦ Alternatively, you can upload your building as a new 3D Warehouse model. Click Share Model to do this instead.
- ♦ Add or edit the 'Title' and 'Description' fields if needed.
- ♦ Click Upload to add your building to the 3D Warehouse.
Building Maker is currently available using the following web browsers and operating systems:
- ♦ Microsoft Windows (2000, XP, and Vista)
- ♦ Google Chrome 1.0 or higher
- ♦ Internet Explorer 7.0 or higher
- ♦ Firefox 2.0 or higher
Apple Mac OS X 10.4 and higher (Intel and PowerPC)
- ♦ Safari 3.1 or higher
- ♦ Firefox 3.0 or higher
SketchUp Building Maker can be used these location North America, Europe and Asia pacific.