A Quick Review of Sketchup 8
10th November 2010
By Global Assocaites SketchUp Team
Google launched Sketchup version 8 at 3D Basecamp 2010. This version has much more added facilities than Sketchup 7. you can download Sketchup 8 free version from http://sketchup.google.com/. Many features of Sketchup 7 have been redesigned in it for betterment especially for those who need to make digital site models for their design.
Following the advantages of using Sketchup 8:
- Model geo-location with Google Maps: In Sketchup 8 you are enabled to built Maps by adding a geo-location to the model.
- Color imagery and more accurate terrain: You will get the color aerial imagery with more accurate 3D terrain data when any user adds a geo location to the model.
- Match Photo improvements: The new Match Photo feature allows the users of Sketchup 8 to trace one or more photographs to build a model.
- SketchUp, meet Building Maker: It is now easier to draw models of existing building in Sketchup 8 because you can take advantages of Google Building Maker.
- Solid Tool: There are some new sorts of powerful tools introduced in Sketchup 8 pro for making your drawing more lively and realistic.
- Union: This tool is used to add together two or more shapes.
- Intersect: With the help of Intersect, you can makes a new shape out of the bits that overlap [parts that are common] - while deleting everything else.
- Subtract: It helps you to turn a shape into a 3D cookie cutter. Use it to slice and dice any other solid.
- Trim: The tool named Trim tells one shape to take a bite out of the other - without deleting the first shape.
- Split: This tool takes a new shape out of the bits that overlap - while keeping everything else.
- Scene Thumbnails: With this feature you can get little image previews of the scenes in the Scene Panel.
- Back Edges: it is used to see the obscured edges as dashed lines. It is also a fantastic substitute to Wireframe or X-Ray mode to look through your model.
- Angular Dimensions in LayOut PRO: For creating angular dimensions Sketchup 8 is equipped with LayOut 3.
- Push/Pull pre-selected faces: if you don’t want to Change your point of view then this tool is apt for you. You have to select face first and then you have to push or pull it.
- Calculate volumes: With the help of this tool, you will get to know the volume of any solid in your model. When you generate report in Sketchup Pro, the volumes will be included there.
- Outer Shell: This tool can generate a shape that completely encloses two or more solids in the model.
- DWG/DXF 2010 PRO: Now you can export or import vector data to Sketchup 8 pro which support DWG/DXF 2010 format.
- DWG/DXF export in LayOut PRO: Sketchup 8 Pro allows its users to share the LayOut 3 Drawings as files that any CAD system or 3D modeler can open.
- Dashed lines are configurable in LayOut PRO: you are able to adjust dashed line style of LayOut PRO library.
- Precise Move in LayOut PRO: In Sketchup 8 Pro, there is a centre grip on every element to do double duty. You can also place it wherever you like to establish a custom ‘snap point’ for putting things according to your requirements.
You can avail the Google Sketchup 8 different languages like English, French, Italian, Spanish and German. Google will release it in more languages soon. The price of Sketchup Pro in US$495 and if you will upgrade it from earlier version then the expenditure will be US$95. You can also download the free version.